What Is A Habitat Home?
A Habitat home is a simple, decent place to live. Habitat homes are three to five bedroom homes, depending on family size. Homes are built in partnership with the family, our community, and Habitat. New homes come with brick fronts and one car garages. Habitat homes are sold to qualifying families on a 20 to 30-year, no interest mortgage with payments of approximately $350-$400 a month. Generally, it takes from 9-18 months from the time family is approved to the time they can move into their home.
What Criteria Does Habitat Look For In A Housing Applicant
NEED FOR ADEQUATE SHELTER
- You must demonstrate a need for adequate housing. A committee member will come to your present home to determine if you have a need for housing.
ABILITY TO PAY BACK THE MORTGAGE
Since you will be purchasing your home from Habitat, you must demonstrate an ability to pay for the home:
- You must have a consistent, verifiable income which can include wages from job, SSI
- Social Security, child support, public assistance or alimony
WILLINGNESS TO PARTNER
You must demonstrate that you are willing to partner with Habitat by:
- Agreeing to complete “sweat equity” hours.
- Participate in homeowner classes and various workshops.
- Pay closing costs before closing on your home.
- Be able to show that you have a stable payment history and responsibility to make mortgage payments
- Be able to pay on existing debts, a mortgage, and maintain a standard of living.
How To Apply
Classes are held at the Habitat Building (400 Pratt Avenue, NW 35801), on the corner of Pratt Avenue and Washington Street near downtown Huntsville.
Please call the day before the orientation to ensure classes have not been cancelled*
Dates to be added when orientation classes are scheduled.
PLEASE BE ON TIME!
DO NOT BRING:
Children or Food
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR APPLICATION
Failure to bring required documents will result in your application being denied, no exceptions!
- Government issued photo identification
- Social Security or Form I-551 Card
- If working, two months of pay stubs
- Child Support: Bring court order and proof of payment for the last six months
- Alimony: Bring court order and proof of payment for the last six months
- Food Stamps Award letter or verification of income
- Social Security Income/Disability Award Letter
- If you have a bank account, bring last two month’s bank statements for all accounts
- Application Fee: $27.50 for single adult head of household or $32.50 for two adults
(money order or cashier checks only)
Orientations will provide information on Habitat for Humanity, how you and your family can qualify for the Habitat program, and an application for the program. *You must attend the orientation in order to apply, no exceptions. If there are two applicants on the application, both applicants must attend the class.*
*Classes are subject to change. Please call the Habitat office at (256) 533-2282 ext. 2 to verify we are still having the class.
My home is one of the biggest blessings “the Lord has ever given me.”
Habitat home owner since 2005
“I thank God everyday to have a home for my family” away from the drugs and violence where we once lived.
Habitat home owner since 2006
Flyers and Pamphlets
New Construction Pamphlet (pdf)
No Flyer Available at this time.